Once all the initial excitement and euphoria has subsided it is time for the bride to start thinking about wedding dresses. It always takes longer to choose a dress than you think and it takes up to six months for a dress to be ready. This is one of the most enjoyable elements of getting married and a time to feel really special. Here are my top tips on choosing and buying your dream wedding dress.
- Have a look at bridal boutiques’ websites and the dresses and designers they stock.
- Once you have narrowed down your choice of bridal boutique book an appointment. They can get very busy and will be extremely so once lockdown is lifted.
- A typical appointment can be between one and a half to two hours long.
- It is always a good idea to take a best friend or Mother, or both with you. This is a lovely role for a chief bridesmaid, but don’t leave your Mum feeling left out.
- Be prepared to pay a small fee for busy appointment times. It is well worth it and is often refundable on the purchase of a dress.
- You often end up choosing a different style of dress so go with an open mind. The boutique staff will give you their undivided attention and offer you valuable advice.
- Do have a budget in mind and let the boutique staff know so that you don’t fall in love with the wrong dress.
- Think about your ceremony and venue. It would be wrong to choose a dress that looks good in the City but not quite right in a countryside marquee. You can still be elegant and sophisticated in the countryside, although you might be sensible not to choose a cathedral style train if you are walking across a field to a marquee.
- Don’t be surprised if you don’t make a choice on the first visit and have to have a short list. Make a follow-up appointment where you should be able to choose the dress. Always have a follow-up appointment even if you have chosen the dress first time. This allows you to change your mind before it is too late.
- Once you have chosen your dress, take a photo of yourself in it so that you can give it to the florist to help with the style of bouquet. Also your Hair and Make-up artist needs to see it, so take a picture along to your trial.
- You can now have fun choosing shoes and accessories and don’t forget to take your shoes to any wedding dress fitting.
Good luck and I hope you have so much fun and excitement choosing and buying your dream wedding dress. If you need any help or guidance with the rest of your planning do take a look at my wedding planning services
Photography: Suzy Elizabeth Photography
Dresses: White Lace and Butterflies